The Hanks Family

The Hanks Family

Monday, March 16, 2015

Kings & Queens

The other day I started thinking that in twelve months we could be adopting a twelve month old. Today could be my child's birthday! Typically this is a day of joy, excitement, and celebration. Family gathering around to welcome a new member. Friends sending notes of congratulations. Pictures taken as memories are made. But for many this is a dreadful day, such as when a baby is born too soon or born with a lethal condition. In places without proper healthcare, even minor congenital anomalies can be a big deal.
This makes me think about my future child's birth mother. Was she able to receive the prenatal care that I took for granted? Did she find out about her child's condition on ultrasound? Was she conflicted about continuing the pregnancy knowing she couldn't provide the necessary surgery? Did she cry everyday worrying about the baby's future? Or maybe she didn't see it coming. Maybe after months of preparation and hours of painful labor, the best moment of her life turned into the saddest. The healthy baby she hoped for requires care she can't provide. Her heart must be broken. I cannot imagine the overpowering rush of hormones and mixed emotions. Unlike Moses mother, she cannot send the baby away and then still become the caretaker. She cannot watch the baby grow up from afar. She cannot leave any trace of identity or lineage. She may never know what happens to her child.
I wish I could be there during her disappointment and sorrow to tell her this baby still has a bright future. That even though she will abandon her baby, someone will come along to love and provide for that child. I don't think this would actually make her decision easier as I could not fathom giving up a baby. Giving up a son or daughter that I carried in my heart, in my belly, and in my arms. I look forward to adopting this child and continuing the mother's love. A love strong enough to give life. I will make sure this child knows how much two mothers have loved him/her. I believe that adoption provides hope to mothers in crisis, care to children in need, and joy to families everywhere. My motivation is my love for all three. 

Won't you look around, these are the lives the world has forgotten
Waiting for doors of our hearts and our homes to open
Boys become kings, girls become queens
Wrapped in your majesty, when we love the least of these
Then they will be brave and free, shout your name in victory


Their smiles are infectious!

No comments:

Post a Comment