The Hanks Family

The Hanks Family

Friday, April 3, 2015

Setbacks

Today I received a call from our adoption agency CCAI. Unfortunately, it was not good news.
Our last home study meeting was at the beginning of February. We returned the edited rough draft of our home study report mid February. We didn't hear anything back for awhile so we started authenticating and sealing our other documents (to avoid date expiration). We were anxiously awaiting the home study report to apply for the I800A. Then we still have to authenticate and seal those two documents. In March I started calling our home study agency, CHS, for report updates. After receiving the rough draft from our social worker, CHS had to send it to CCAI for review. After all revisions, the report will then have to be reviewed by the CHS Board at a Tuesday meeting before finalization. 
CCAI called to say that our home study is missing several components. This may mean another meeting, some major revisions, and more supporting documents. Because of the extended time involved and our current life changes, we may have to edit or recreate some paperwork to then put through the expensive sealing process again. 
I was really upset about this setback. We've worked so hard to do everything right, pre-approving our documents with CCAI. But it's so frustrating to check something off the to do list, just to erase the check and start again. I was in a pretty bad mood, feeling so far away from our next child. Then Ethan ran into my arms, smiling and giggling, holding tight around my neck. We are blessed to have a healthy and happy child in our home. I ponder how many other couples are dealing with setbacks today too, without a child in their home. I wonder how many children are dealing with setbacks today too, awaiting a forever family. In the beginning, one post-adoption family warned me that this journey was not for the faint of heart. I thought that would not be a problem for me, a determined and stubborn person. I've wanted and dreamed of this child for so long. Yet today I wanted to give up. 
Remember the child. The child waiting in China for us. After all the paperwork, bureaucracy, and fees there will be another child smiling, giggling, and holding tight around my neck. We cannot forget about our child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment