The Hanks Family

The Hanks Family

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

So Close

So Friday started with a cup of coffee all over my lap, every fetus I scanned in a terrible position, and a lunchtime phone call from CCAI. "All of the documents you sent look great, but…" Oh how I hate to hear the "but." Jaime explained that we were missing "sealed" background checks. We were mistakenly under the impression that the home study background checks were sufficient and only additional explanations or court documents had to be sealed. So our original background checks have expired. (I feel like China is very picky about all this documentation, but thankfully our adoption agency knows exactly what they want.) I was very frustrated at this news, but was forced to immediately swing into action. We only have a month to obtain and seal these documents, which usually takes at least six weeks of mailing. After a dozen phone calls and emails to our placement agency and home study agency, Phillip rushed to the court house to obtain the documents. Monday morning I drove 2.5 hours in torrential downpour and rush hour traffic (with a stomach ache) to the Secretary of State office in Raleigh. (Props to Google Maps for alerting me to a car accident ahead before I saw the firetruck, ambulance, and police pass by.) I had written 3 personal checks, filled out 2 envelopes, completed the Embassy form, and copied our passports. While waiting for the original documents to be authenticated, I used my phone to find a UPS store nearby. Since my stomach still hurt, I searched for a pharmacy too. Wouldn’t you know it, on the way to medicine, God walked me right by a Wells Fargo to purchase the money order I had forgotten about. After picking up the documents, I immediately drove to the UPS Store and mailed everything to a courier in Virginia who will hand deliver the documents to the Department of State and the Chinese Embassy in D.C.
I thought we were to the waiting part. As much as I dread it, I am also ready for it. I'm tired of the dossier frustration. Amidst the terrible Friday/Monday I was having, there were plenty of things to complain about. But as Pastor Ian once said, "I may have a hundred small things to complain about, but I have a million reasons to bless the Lord." That sure is the truth.
God, thank you for this journey, all that it has taught us, and the child we will one day meet.
Thank you for a helpful spouse, willing to drop everything to run an adoption errand.
Thank you for the twelve hour shift on Sunday to help make up the added expenses.
Thank you for my dependable car that wasn't in a wreck or broken down in the rain.
Thank you for KLove radio and Christmas CDs.
Thank you for the shorter return trip so I made it to work on time.
Thank you for supportive family and friends that pray with us for a completed dossier!

"The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

You're rich in love and You're slow to anger
Your name is great and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness, I will keep on singing
Ten thousand ressons for my heart to find

Bless the Lord, Oh my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before, Oh my soul
I'll worship His holy name"

No comments:

Post a Comment